Kazakhstan Visa and Support
Kazakhstan Visa General Requirements
In general, all foreign nationals are required to have business or tourist visas to enter Kazakhstan. To obtain a Kazakhstan visa foreign citizens should apply to a Kazakhstan diplomatic/consular institution in their country of residence.
Documents required for the Kazakhstan visa:
- Copy of the first two pages of their passport a valid passport (or international travel document)
- A copy of their Kazakhstan visa support (invitation letter) with a notification of their visa support number by the DCS of the MFA (or the original individual invitation issued by the Police)
- the completed visa application form (pdf) and
- 1 passport-size photo;
- Fee, payable on collection of visa
- For 5 days transit visas, the visa of the destination country and onward ticket (or a reservation) are required.
- Hotel booking confirmation
- International flight booking confirmation.
The passport should not expire earlier than six months after the validity term of the requested visa. Other necessary documents will be determined by the consul at the time of application.
Visas are issued within 7 calendar days from the day of presenting all documents. Documents are accepted with a visa support letter from the Diplomatic-consular service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
In order to get single entry official, private, tourist or business visa to Kazakhstan at the Embassies of Kazakhstan, nationals of the following countries do not need letter of invitation (Kazakhstan visa support): Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Great Britain, Greece, Denmark, Italy, Ireland, Iceland, Germany, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Malaysia, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Portugal, Singapore, the USA, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, France.
Citizens of some countries are eligible for visa free entry to the Republic of Kazakhstan for the period of up to 90 days (depending on the country). According to the new decree of the government, there is a list of countries whose citizens may visit Kazakhstan for the period of up to 15 days due to temporary cancellation of visas until the end of 2017. The complete list of the countries eligible to visit Kazakhstan without visa is available here.
Where to apply for Kazakhstan Visa?
- You can apply for the Kazakhstan visa outside of Kazakhstan where Kazakhstan Embassy or Consulate exist
- Nationalities that do not need the letter of invitation can also obtain a tourist visa on arrival at consular posts of the MFA at Astana, Almaty, Atyrau, Uralsk and Ust-Kamenogorsk airports with special applications of travel agencies to the DCS of the MFA.
Types of Kazakhstan Visa:
- Diplomatic Kazakhstan visa: issued to holders of diplomatic passports and in some instances, when the issue of a diplomatic visa has been recognized expedient. Diplomatic visas are registered without levy of consular fees.
- Official Kazakhstan visa: issued to personnel of foreign diplomatic and other representations and international organizations, who are not considered diplomatic personnel, and also to foreign citizens and persons without citizenship traveling on business, invited by government bodies of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Investor Kazakhstan visa: issued to genuine investors - managers and representatives of managerial staff of major foreign companies, operating on the Kazakhstani market or who have genuine plans to develop business projects.
- Unless stated otherwise by an international treaty or agreement of the Republic of Kazakhstan Work visas are issued upon provision of a permission for foreign labor recruitment and other documents.
- Business Kazakhstan visa: issued to foreign citizens and persons without citizenship traveling to Kazakhstan for business (to attend business negotiations, forums, market research, etc.) upon application of non-governmental legal entities, registered on the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Tourist Kazakhstan visa: issued upon approval of a local travel agency's application, licenses to operate as such.
- Study visa: issued with permission of the immigration police upon application of educational institutions.
- Visas for medical treatment are issued to foreigners and persons without citizenship traveling to Kazakhstan for treatment, medical checks, consultations and similar reasons upon application of the relevant institutions and organizations confirming the character of the invitation.
- Visas for permanent residence are issued upon provision of documents stipulated by the legislation.
- Transit Kazakhstan visa: issued upon provision of a visa valid to enter the country of destination and relevant tickets with confirmation of departure date from the transfer point on the territory of Kazakhstan, no later than 5 days from the moment of arrival to the port or station in Kazakhstan.
Registration upon arrival in Kazakhstan
Apart from visa, foreign citizens should receive their registration (immigration) card where places of accommodation on the territory of Kazakhstan with the dates will be marked. Citizens of some countries can get registration along with their visa; others will need to receive upon arrival in the country at the immigration police. Further details on registration read here.