Kazakhstan Visa and Support
Foreigners need visa to enter Kazakhstan, unless their country is in the visa-free list. In general, you might have one of the following three:
- Visa-free entry;
- Visa upon arrival;
- Visa at the Embassy.
Another important issue is registration at the immigration police upon arrival in Kazakhstan. Depending on your citizenship one of the following three rules are applicable:
- Registration should be obtained within 5 days of arrival;
- After 30 days of stay;
- Registration is not required, two stamps are put upon arrival.
The following paragraphs provide detailed insight into Kazakhstan visa and registration issues.
Citizens of the following countries, who are eligible visa free entry to Kazakhstan, are divided into two: those who do not need registration of stay upon arrival and those who should hurry up to get it resolved within 5 days of entering the country. Further details on registration read here.
Visa-free and no registration (please make sure, you have received two stamps on the immigration card upon arrival):
2. Austria: up to 30 days
3. Belarus: up to 90 days **
4. Belgium: up to 30 days
5. Brazil: up to 30 days *
6. Bulgaria: up to 30 days
7. Canada: up to 30 days
8. Chile: up to 30 days
9. Croatia: up to 30 days
10. Cyprus: up to 30 days
11. Czech Republic: up to 30 days
12. Denmark: up to 30 days
13. Estonia: up to 30 days
14. Finland: up to 30 days
15. France: up to 30 days
16. Germany: up to 30 days
17. Great Britain: up to 30 days
19. Hungary: up to 30 days
20. Iceland: up to 30 days
21. Ireland: up to 30 days
22. Israel: up to 30 days
23. Italy: up to 30 days
24. Japan: up to 30 days
25. Latvia: up to 30 days
26. Lithuania: up to 30 days
27. Luxembourg: up to 30 days
28. Malaysia: up to 30 days
29. Malta: up to 30 days
30. Mexico: up to 30 days
31. Monaco: up to 30 days
32. Netherlands: up to 30 days
33. New Zealand: up to 30 days
35. Poland: up to 30 days
36. Portugal: up to 30 days
37. Romania: up to 30 days
38. Russia: up to 90 days **
39. Singapore: up to 30 days
40. Slovakia: up to 30 days
41. Slovenia: up to 30 days
42. South Korea: up to 30 days
43. Spain: up to 30 days
44. Sweden: up to 30 days
45. Switzerland: up to 30 days
46. Turkey: up to 30 days
47. UAE: up to 30 days
48. Ukraine: up to 90 days
49. USA: up to 30 days
Visa-free and registration within 5 days upon arrival:
2. Argentina: up to 30 days *
3. Armenia: up to 90 days
4. Hong Kong (PRC): up to 14 days
6. Kyrgyzstan: up to 90 days
7. Moldova: up to 90 days
8. Mongolia: up to 90 days
10. Tajikistan: up to 30 days
11. Uzbekistan: up to 30 days
* Multiple entry, but cumulative duration of no more than 30 days in any 365-day period.
** Registration of stay at the immigration police is required after 30 days of arrival.
Visa and Visa Support
If your country is not in the visa free list, you need to apply for it at the Embassies and Consulates of Kazakhstan. In order to apply for visa, firstly, you need to obtain LOI (Letter of Invitation a.k.a Visa support) from a travel agency. Visa support procedure takes two weeks. After, you will apply for visa at the nearest Kazakh embassy. Click here to read more about Visa support .
Documents required for the Kazakhstan visa:
- Copy of the first two pages of their passport a valid passport (or international travel document)
- A copy of their Kazakhstan visa support (invitation letter) with a notification of their visa support number by the DCS of the MFA (or the original individual invitation issued by the Police)
- the completed visa application form (pdf) and
- 1 passport-size photo;
- Fee, payable on collection of visa
- For 5 days transit visas, the visa of the destination country and onward ticket (or a reservation) are required.
- Hotel booking confirmation
- International flight booking confirmation.
The passport should not expire earlier than six months after the validity term of the requested visa. Other necessary documents will be determined by the consul at the time of application.
Visas are issued within 7 calendar days from the day of presenting all documents. Documents are accepted with a visa support letter from the Diplomatic-consular service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Citizens of the following countries are eligible to obtain visa without a Letter of Invitation (LOI, a.k.a Visa Support) if they are applying for single-entry visas of categories A1, A2, B1, B2, D1 and G1, as well as single and double entry visa of category F1.
- The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
- The State of Qatar
- Principality of Liechtenstein
- The Sultanate of Oman
- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Where to apply for Kazakhstan Visa?
- You can apply for the Kazakhstan visa outside of Kazakhstan where Kazakhstan Embassy or Consulate exist
- The citizens of the foreign countries that do not need the letter of invitation can also obtain a tourist visa on arrival at consular posts of the MFA at Astana, Almaty, Atyrau, Uralsk and Ust-Kamenogorsk airports with special applications of travel agencies to the DCS of the MFA.
Types of Kazakhstan Visa:
- Diplomatic Kazakhstan visa - А1, А2, А3: issued to holders of diplomatic passports and in some instances, when the issue of a diplomatic visa has been recognized expedient. Diplomatic visas are registered without levy of consular fees.
- Official Kazakhstan visa - B1, B2, B3: issued to personnel of foreign diplomatic and other representations and international organizations, who are not considered diplomatic personnel, and also to foreign citizens and persons without citizenship traveling on business, invited by government bodies of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Investor Kazakhstan visa - С1, С2: issued to genuine investors - managers and representatives of managerial staff of major foreign companies, operating on the Kazakhstani market or who have genuine plans to develop business projects.
- Work visas - M1, M2, M3, M4, M5: issued upon provision of a permission for foreign labor recruitment and other documents, unless stated otherwise by an international treaty or agreement of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Business Kazakhstan visa - D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6, D7, D8: issued to foreign citizens and persons without citizenship traveling to Kazakhstan for business (to attend business negotiations, forums, market research, etc.) upon application of non-governmental legal entities, registered on the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Tourist Kazakhstan visa - F1: issued upon approval of a local travel agency's application, licenses to operate as such.
- Study visa - L1, L2: issued with permission of the immigration police upon application of educational institutions.
- Visas for medical treatment - G1, G2, G3, G4: issued to foreigners and persons without citizenship traveling to Kazakhstan for treatment, medical checks, consultations and similar reasons upon application of the relevant institutions and organizations confirming the character of the invitation.
- Visas for permanent residence - J1, J2, J3: issued upon provision of documents stipulated by the legislation.
- Transit Kazakhstan visa - H1: issued upon provision of a visa valid to enter the country of destination and relevant tickets with confirmation of departure date from the transfer point on the territory of Kazakhstan, no later than 5 days from the moment of arrival to the port or station in Kazakhstan.
Visa Requirements in other Central Asian Countries: