The Funicular Restaurant Complex is a Tbilisi institution of Georgian history and fine cuisine. This magnificent structure sits high atop Mtatsminda (Holy Mountain) at the top of the funicular railway above Tbilisi. Majestic verandas offer panoramic views of the city below and mountains in the distance. Mount Kazbegi can even been seen on a clear day. Soviet oligarchy once reveled in the splendor of its unseemly location – even building an underground tunnel with a secret entrance.
The complex was originally built in 1905. Having fallen into disrepair, it was revamped and reopened in 2014.The multi-story complex showcases three levels with four separate establishments and a private ballroom.
Chela features traditional Georgian cuisine with an extensive menu. The inviting atmosphere is upscale yet casual. Patio dining draws patrons of all nationalities, affording breathtaking vistas of the city amidst the marvelous architecture of the structure.
Signature dishes include:
- Skewered Kachapuri cheese pastry (washed in egg, skewered and cooked over charcoal);
- Shkmeruli chicken with onion, garlic and milk sauce;
- Chakapuli lamb stew with tarragon and white wine;
- Veal with mixed berries and green adjika;
- Khinkhali meat or vegetable dumplings of several varieties made fresh to order.
Puri Guliani is an exquisite bakery and confectioners shop specializing in authentic Georgian baked goods and sweets. It is famous for its delicious Adjaran Kachapuri cheese pie and rare crème filled Ponchiki pastry. The bakery’s wide selection of items is complimented by an assortment of coffees, Georgian sodas, and ice cream made in-house.
The second level houses Lounge Bar and Funicular Restaurant.
Lounge Bar offers a full bar with a special pub food menu. It also features a 1960s mural by renowned Georgian painter Koka Ignatov. This Soviet era mural was destroyed during the interim leading up to the remodeling of the complex in 2014 but underwent restoration and now serves as a historic reminder of Tbilisi’s rich heritage.
Funicular Restaurant offers fine dining with chic ambience. The dining room also features a swank wine bar with impressive vintages.
The gourmet set menu features:
- Mix mussels Au Mauniere with green and black shell mussels, white wine, cream, parsley and garlic sauce;
- Chateaubriand classic cut of fillet, cook to order, sautée oyster mushroom, crispy onion and peppercorn & blue cheese sauce;
- Vol-Au-Vent of fillet of beef with French mustard and cornichons;
- Raspberry millefuille with vanilla cream and berry coolly.
The top level is a grand ballroom with panoramic views unlike any in the city. This is Tbilisi’s premier venue for gala events, receptions and conferences.
The Funicular Complex is easily accessible from the Vera district of Tbilisi via Freedom Square (Tavisuplebis Moedani) Metro station. Mtatsminda funicular makes ascending/descending runs every few minutes.With historic charm and modern flair, The Funicular Complex offers one of the most exciting and inviting dining experiences in Tbilisi.