The tour is held from mid-May to early October.
We encourage you to try one of the simpler hikes in the western Tien Shan mountains. This one–day tour to the Obi-Rakhmat grotto and Paltau Waterfall will take you on a walk with a total length of 10 km, where most of the way is along an abandoned dirt road. This tour combines beautiful nature as well as ancient human history. The Neanderthal site is where tools of ancient people, animal bones and human remains have discovered. The farthest point of your route will be the 38-meter-high waterfall on the Paltau River after which you will return.
The trail leading to the waterfall will require some dexterity and good general fitness. However, you will be rewarded with a picturesque view of the waterfall among the impressive rocks-formations. The coolness of the river gives respite on a hot day. The bravest can swim under the waterfall – a swim to be remembered!
See the Obi-Rakhmat grotto and Paltau Waterfall tour program. It will be a busy day with simple physical activities; an excursion into ancient history and beautiful mountain landscapes!
8:00-10:20 Transfer to Paltau region (100 km). Early in the morning, a driver and a mountain guide will meet you at the hotel. Leaving Tashkent towards the Chimgan Mountains, a wide highway brings you to the foot of the huge Charvak reservoir in an hour. Here the road rises higher, winding through the foothills. Driving alongside Charvak, we will park and begin the walk. There will also be a passage of a small border post.
10:30-11:30 Here begins the active part of the tour to the Obi-Rahmat grotto and the Paltau waterfall. Walk the dirt road to the Obi-Rakhmat grotto (2.5 km). Enjoy the surrounding landscapes, including beautiful view of the Chatkal River and the rock formations of Okhotnichiy Mountain. Turning to the gorge of the Paltau River, after a few of kilometers you reach the rocks.
11:30-12:00 A rocky ridge leads you to the entrance to the Obi-Rakhmat grotto. Traces of archaeological work remain, and you can inspect the site, learning about the people who lived more than 50 thousand years ago! Climbing the ridge you will discover two hidden caves.
12:00-13:00 After visiting the cave, the steep path to the bed of the Paltau River begins, taking you upstream (1.5 km). This path is narrow and steep in places – you will have to focus on walking and overcome small natural obstacles with the help of the guide. At the end, you will see a view of the whole 38-meters of the Paltau waterfall. Now you rest, relax and cool down.
13:00-14:00 Lunch is provided at the waterfall. Take photos with the backdrop of the waterfall, and even ‘shower’ and swim under the waterfall.
14:00-15:30 Return to the car via the same route.
15:30-18:00 Transfer to Tashkent and back to your accommodation.
1. To pass the border checkpoint, you must have a passport;
2. In case of bad weather, the guides reserve the right to change the route;
3. No special equipment is required for this tour, but the hike has steep ascents and descents. If you have had any surgeries in the past, or if you have life-supporting implants (e.g prosthetic heart valve), or if you have any chronic diseases (e.g. asthma, high blood pressure), please let us know.
4. Also inform us if you have any special dietary requests or restrictions, including a vegetarian/vegan diet.
- In hot and sunny weather: a panama hat, sunglasses and sun-screen, long-sleeved top, trousers or shorts, trekking boots or strong sneakers with laces/straps.
- Until the end of June, due to the full flow of the Paltau River, slates or sandals for the crossing.
- For those who want to swim: swimsuit and a towel.
- In cold weather: bring a jacket or windbreaker.
- Transport to / from the mountains (1-2 people by sedan car; 3-6 people by minivan);
- Mountain guide services;
- Environmental fee;
Prices per person
The tour is private with your personal guide. There will be no other people joining the tour.
Our guides will follow your own pace.
The starting time of the tour is up to you and may vary from 09.00 am to 16.00 pm.
We are happy to offer this tour for air/train passengers too. Our guide will meet you at the arrival station.
Obi-Rakhmat Grotto and Paltau Waterfall Reviews
Visited October 2023