If you’re planning on traveling to Uzbekistan, extend your travels by adding a trip to Turkmenistan. The Darvaza Gas Crater group tour takes you over the border from Khiva, first to Kunya-Urgench, the site of an amazing architectural reserve and the former capital of the Khorezm Empire, and then to the Darvaza Gas Crater, a natural gas burnoff in the Karakum Desert. Share a night in the desert and a meal cooked over a fire with new friends as you travel with like-minded people from around the world.
If you're travelling alone or just with a few friends or family members, we encourage you to join our Turkmenistan Small Group Tour. This is because travelling as part of a larger group increases the likelihood of you being granted a visa for Turkmenistan.
Due to the unstable situation with COVID-19 which has led to complicated visa requirements, ever-changing entry rules for the Silk Road countries and a current lack of international flights to the countries on our itineraries, we have made the decision to cancel all of our group tours scheduled for 2021. We are still happy to offer you a private tour or a group tour scheduled for 2022.
In the afternoon drive to Darvaza gas crater located in the middle of Karakym desert (270 km, 4 h.). Set up the camp. Enjoy a delicious fire-cooked meal for dinner near the burning gas crater. Overnight in tents.
Duration of sightseeing tour: 2 hours
Meals: lunch, dinner
- All transfers;
- Sightseeing tour program with an English-speaking guide;
- Entrance fees to sights as per itinerary;
- Visa support letter for Turkmenistan tourist visa;
- Utensils and necessary equipment for staying in tents (sleeping bags, sleeping mats, pillows, dining table, chairs);
- Camp style dinner and breakfast at Darvaza crater;
- Lunch in Kunya-Urgench
- Tour leader to accompany travelers for the whole period of the tour in Turkmenistan.