All reservations booked for the Silk Road Group Tour by 31 December 2019 will receive a 550 USD discount off of the total tour cost.
The Silk Road Group Tour has everything to bring out your adventurous side - go from modern cities to ancient ruins, from the greenest of mountains to the driest of deserts. Even across thousands of kilometers and dozens of cities, each country’s local colors and flavors will leave you with a distinct impression. Start in modern Almaty, then head to the towering mountains of Kyrgyzstan, followed by a dip into Tajikistan’s history in Penjikent. Take extra time at the many archaeological sites of Turkmenistan, then wander through the timeless cities of Bukhara and Samarkand. Then move to the Caucasus: travel through time as you discover Azerbaijan, let the tastes of Georgia sweep you away, and finish up with panoramas of Armenia. From rough stone walls to the softest silk, broaden your horizons and deepen your knowledge with the Silk Road Group Tour.
Participants need to be in good health, be able to walk for 4-6 hours every day at moderate speed, climb stairs and hills, and be able to carry their own luggage for up to 1 km across borders.
At 18:00 meet your tour guide, the group members and welcome new members of the tour with a dinner at a national restaurant. Overnight at the hotel.
The first stop is at Ateshgah, a temple for fire worshippers located in the village of Surakhany. Zoroastrians from India travel thousands of kilometers to Ateshgah to worship the fire coming out of the earth. After lunch, drive to Gobustan National Park. Pay a visit to the Petroglyphs Museum and explore petroglyphs dating back to 10,000 BC. Weather permitting, drive to mud volcanoes in Gobustan Reserve (change of vehicle). Gobustan is home to almost half of the world’s mud volcanoes. Return to Baku. Overnight at the hotel.
Free time in the afternoon (optional visit to Heydar Aliev Centre). Overnight at the hotel.
By 17:30-18:30, we will arrive at our overnight point, Akhasheni Wine Resort. This Resort is surrounded by beautiful vineyards and offers stunning views of the Caucasus Mountains – the perfect place to take a break before continuing our journey in Georgia. We will stay here for two nights.
At 18:00, we will visit a local family to enjoy traditional fest and hear the best Georgian toasts.
After a couple of hours at your leisure, join the group to proceed to welcome dinner (departing from the hotel by bus at 19:00). Overnight at the hotel.
Advantour offers an optional culinary masterclass on traditional Georgian food. The masterclass includes 3-4 dishes and snacks and takes 4-5 hours. It should be booked in advance. The price is 60 USD per person.
We suggest the following activities and places to visit in Tbilisi:
- Georgian National Museum on Rustaveli Avenue – to visit the “Archaeological Treasury” exhibition;
- National Gallery on Rustaveli Avenue – to see the works of the famous Georgian artists Niko Pirosmani, David Kakabadze, and Lado Gudiashvili;
- Tbilisi flea market at Dry Bridge – where you can find antiquities (many of which are from the Soviet era), paintings by local artists, and handmade Georgian souvenirs;
- David Agmashenebeli Avenue – a recently-renovated pedestrian street full of historical buildings that have beautiful facades in the art nouveau, pseudo gothic, and classicist styles with a mix of typical Georgian ornamentation and balconies. All along the street there are plenty of cozy art cafés, galleries, shops, and wine bars;
- Dezertirebi Bazaar – which sells local, natural products including Georgian sweets (such as churchkhela); various types of dried fruits, nuts, and spices; and Georgian cheeses;
- Funicular railway to Mtatsminda Mountain – which offers a beautiful view of Tbilisi;
- Wander in Sololaki – a neighborhood full of art nouveau houses;
- For nature lovers, we offer a day hike to Birtvisi Canyon and Fortress. Contact us to find out more.
For those who are interested in culture, we suggest visiting the State Opera House of Georgia to enjoy a ballet or opera performance (opera.ge). You can find out what other cultural events are on in Tbilisi, and book tickets, at tkt.ge.
You will have a free afternoon to explore more of Yerevan. Here are our suggestions:
- Ararat Brandy Factory
- Matenadaran Manuscripts Museum
- History Museum
- Souvenirs market “Vernisage”
- All transfers;
- Accommodation based on double/twin room sharing, breakfasts included;
- Sightseeing tour program in each country with local, English-speaking guides;
- Entrance tickets to sights as per itinerary;
- Economy-class tickets for flights: Almaty-Bishkek-Tashkent, Mary-Ashgabat, Urgench-Tashkent, Tashkent-Baku;
- Economy-class tickets for trains: Tashkent-Samarkand-Bukhara (on rare occasions when the high-speed train is unavailable, we will replace this with the most-comfortable class of regular train);
- Visa support for Uzbekistan triple entry visa;
- Visa support for Turkmenistan tourist visa;
- E-visas to Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan;
- National Folklore Show in Bukhara on Day 9;
- Meals: welcome lunch in Almaty on Day 2, lunch at the home of a local family on Day 4, lunch and dinner on Seven lakes on Day 6, lunch in Penjikent on Day 7, lunch in Mary on Day 10, camp-style dinner at Darvaza on Day 11, dinner in Khiva on Day 13, dinner in Baku on Day 14, dinner at the local family at Akhasheni on Day 19, dinner in Tbilisi on Day 20, farewell dinner in Yerevan on Day 28;
- Two wine tastings in Kakheti region, Georgia.
- Full board (lunches and dinners not specified above);
- Hotel charges for additional services;
- Personal travel insurance;
- A tax of 2 USD per night in Turkmenistan, paid to the hotel upon check out;
- Consular fees for Turkmenistan tourist visas (80 USD) and migration tax (14 USD);
- Consular fees for Uzbekistan tourist visa at Tashkent International Airport (60-80 USD);
- Visa support for Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan tourist visas (if necessary);
- E-visas to Georgia and Armenia (if necessary);
- Outbound and inbound flight tickets.
|Almaty - 2 nights|
|Kazzhol or similar|
|Bishkek - 1 night|
|Plaza, Park, Ambassador or similar|
|Tashkent - 2 nights|
|Lotte City Hotel Tashkent Palace or similar|
|Samarkand - 2 nights|
|Sultan, Platan or similar|
|Seven Lakes - 1 night|
|Bukhara - 2 nights|
|As-Salom, K.Komil, Volida or similar|
|Ashgabat - 1 night|
|Darvaza - 1 night|
|Khiva - 1 night|
|Malika Kheivak, Orient Star or similar|
|Baku - 3 nights|
|Park Inn, Intourist|
|Sheki - 1 night|
|Sheki Saray, Sheki Palace, Marxal|
|Akhasheni - 2 nights|
|Akhasheni Wine Resort|
|Tbilisi - 4 nights|
|River Side, Ibis, Citrus, New Tiflis|
|Gudauri - 1 night|
|Yerevan - 4 nights|
|DoubleTree by Hilton|